SAVE YOUR MONEY WITH BION
We are using
Breeding & keeping info
Breeding of Eublepharis angramainyu at BION Terrarium Center
by Dmitri Tkachev & Ivan Neizhko
As the matter of fact IRANIAN LEOPARD GECKO (Eublepharis angramainyu) is the largest and the most attractive representative of Eublepharis genus and amazing species introduced in Herpetoculture both for hobbyists and collectors.
The size of adult male could reach 30 cm. It is robust lizard with high yellow basic color (Ilam province).
This magical species are available in captivity only after 2005!
We keep Eublepharis angramainyu in BION Terrarium Center since 2010 and start to breed them on a regular base in 2012. We obtained the first breeding group (originated from Ilam province, Iran) in December 2010; the second group (originated from Kermanshah province, Iran) was obtained in 2013. For October 2014, we have following groups as our breeding stock:
· First group (Ilam) 2:4:7
· Second group (Kermanshah) 2:1:4
· Third group – hybrid (mix Ilam + Kermanshah) 0:2
The details of keeping
Terrarium: For adult pair or group (1.2) - not less than 500х450х400cm. Important: the bottom area should be at least 0,2 m². Substrate: clay.
Babies and young lizards are kept separately by 1-2 specimensin a plastic box with bottom heating. We keep separately babies from different clutches. With the growth of animals we move them into larger boxes. Substrate: paper or wipes.
Decoration: Water bowls, bamboo tubes as hiding places, moist chamber (box with damp moss).
Illumination (day length): Full spectrum lamp; 12 hours.
Heating: Spot lamp 60 watts; 12 hours.
UV: is not required foradults; full spectrum lamp – for babies.
Temperature: daytime - 28-32°C, nighttime - 25-26°C.
Humidity: 50-60%. It is achieved by spraying 2 times per day.
Diet: We feed adult specimens by crickets – 2-3 times per week 5 insects dusted with calcium per animal; Turkestan roaches – 1 time per week 5 insects per animal; 1 mouse – 1 time per week (for pregnant females or after laying eggs).
We feed babies by сrickets – 5 times per week 5 insects proper size dusted with calcium per animal.
Mineral supplements: The dish with a powder of Calcium with D3 should stay at the terrarium all the time.
Eublepharis angramainyu reach their sexual maturity at 10-14 months old.
Adult animals are kept together in groups of 1:2 and separatedonly for the hibernation period.
Hibernation takes 2,5 months from October till February and arranged for adult animals as follows:
- 7 days - preparatory period, temperature 28-32°Cwithout food.
- 2 months, temperature 17 - 18°C without light, only water bowl and moist chamber.
- 4-7 days - output from hibernation - gradual increase of temperature for 2-3°C every day.
Then usual keeping conditions are provided.
Pregnancy takes about 18-24 days.
One female can lay 3-4 clutches per season that consist of 1-2 (usually 2) eggs.
There are about 18-24 days between two clutches.
The incubation temperature is 28°C for obtaining females and 32°C for obtaining males.
The incubation period is 46-61 days.
The level of humidity should be around 60-80% (a drop of water should appear on the surface of sub strate after pressing it). We use a vermiculate as a substrate.
Statistics of our breeding seasons:
- In 2012 we got 6 babies from 1 female (3 clutches , 6 eggs total)
- In 2013 we got 7 babies from 1 female (4 clutches,7 eggs total)
- In 2014 we got 23 babies from 5 females (18 clutches, 35 eggs total).
Several eggs are still in the incubator.
Iran leopard geckos are still in a good demand and thus we always ask our customers for reservation.
Features of keeping offspring:
We recommend keeping babies in plastic boxes from the hatching and during next 90 days. We use plastic boxes 45x30x30 cm. Paper or wipes instead of substrate. Starting 90 days (three months), we keep each male separately in larger boxes; two females can be kept together (animals from the same clutch).
Rickets (deformation and softening ofthe bones) may develop in juveniles and adults in case of wrong care.
To prevent - the exposure of UV should be increased (“hard” UV over than 280nm during 2 minutes every other day until improvement).
Also dose of calcium should be increased (calcium gluconate in liquid should be offered oraly by 2-3 drops from 2 ml syringe every other day until the situation improves.
1. Eublepharis angramainyu Anderson & Leviton, 1966 (Western Leopard Gecko, Iranian Fat-Tailed Gecko)
2. Eublepharis macularius: Boulenger, 1885a: 97 (in part; not Blyth, 1854). -F. Werner, 1917:197; 1936:200. -Smith, 1935:128. -S. Anderson, 1963:435-437, fig. 8.
3. Eublepharis angramainyu S. Anderson and Leviton, 1966a: 1-5, figs. 1-2 (Type locality: between Masjed Soleyrnan and Batvand, Khuzestan Province, Iran; Holotype: CAS 86384). -S. Anderson, 1968:332. -J. J. Schmidtler and J. F. Schmidtler, 1970:239-241, figs. 1-2. -Tuck, 1971b: 56. -S. Anderson, 1974:31, 43-Schleich, 1977:127, 129. -Darevsky, 1978:207-208, fig. 3. Welch, 1983:6. -Szczerbak and Golubev, 1986:29-30 [1996:29], fig. 7. -Grisrner, 1988:441-452. -Kluge, 1991:8. -Leviton et al, 1992:36-37, col. p1. 4H. -Kluge, 1993: 10.
4. Eublepharis ensafi Baloutch and Thireau, 1986:281-288, figs. 1-6 (Type locality: Fakke, ca 150 km N Ahvaz, Iran; Holotype: Musée Facultë des Sciences de Tehran 456).